When it’s time to get lean and cut, you know that means two things — cutting calories and adding in cardio, the bane of every fitness enthusiasts existence. Sure, you might not might the occasional hill sprint or high-intensity interval training workout, but the thought of spending 30-60 minutes jogging or slogging it out on the elliptical is enough to make you weep.
As if that’s not enough of a headache, you’re tasked with another vital decision — what kind of supplement do you take for your cardio workouts?
Typical pre-workouts are loaded with a lot of stimulants and nitric oxide boosters but don’t really do much for enhancing endurance or fat burning. They’re mostly designed for the weightlifter, not the cardio enthusiast. On the flip side, fat burners really don’t fit the bill for a pre-cardio supplement as they frequently contain way too many stimulants that accelerate heart rate, making it difficult to sustain your pace. Plus, they don’t have much to offer aside from reduced appetite and don’t do a whole heck of a lot for improving stamina.
This leaves you in a bit of bind. You know you need something to help you push the envelope in your cardio sessions and sweat out those unwanted pounds, but everywhere you look, you’re still left unfulfilled.
Where can you find a pre-workout supplement that helps burn fat and improve cardio performance?
Should you stack a fat burner and a pre-workout?
No, that’s not recommended.
Fortunately, your search for the best pre-workout cardio supplement has ended. No longer do you have to choose between a fat burner or pre-workout with SteelFit® Steel Sweat™.
What is Steel Sweat?
Steel Sweat is the ultimate thermogenic, fat burning pre-workout supplement that helps you increase performance during aerobic exercise (“cardio”) while protecting your body against oxidative stress and supporting recovery. Steel Sweat contains a mix of scientifically-proven ingredients to increase thermogenesis, spark metabolic rate, optimize energy expenditure, increase fat oxidation and, most importantly perspiration.
Why is Steel Sweat Better?
Steel Sweat attacks weight loss from multiple angles by synergistically pairing research-backed compounds that increase fat mobilization, fat oxidation, and energy expenditure. Unlike other so-called fat burners, Steel Sweat doesn’t rely on a bevy of stimulants that trick you into thinking it’s working by making you feel jittery or hyper. Steel Sweat is light on the stimulants, proving just enough to arouse your senses and enhance energy, motivation, and mood.
Best of all, Steel Sweat is easy to mix, tastes delicious, and is calorie-free, sugar-free and carbohydrate free.
What’s in Steel Sweat?
L-Carnitine supplements have been around a long time and were dubbed as one of the first stimulant free fat burning compounds on the market. While it’s true that carnitine does help burn fat (it’s the compound that shuttles fatty acids into the mitochondria to be burned for energy), the problem with supplemental L-carnitine is that it has horrendous bioavailability (~14-20%).  Basically, that means if you’re supplementing with regular L-Carnitine you’re not really getting much benefit from it.
However, L-carnitine L-Tartrate is an incredibly bioavailable form of carnitine well document to be beneficial for weight loss, athletic performance, and recovery from exercise. More specifically, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate increases fat oxidation during exercise, sparing your muscle glycogen for the really intense work towards the end of your training. Additionally, this fat burning behemoth also increases the efficiency of your anabolic hormones (like testosterone) and reduces exercise-induced muscle damage, which supports recovery. [2,3]
Extracted from the plant Evodiae Fructus, a member of the Tetradium genus of plants, Evodiamine is an alkaloid similar to capsaicin (another prominent fat burning compound) that exerts a strong thermogenic effect and also has been shown to inhibit fat uptake.[4,5] With evodiamine, your body is less likely to store fat and use it for energy production, thereby improving endurance and helping you etch that lean physique you’ve always wanted.
No pre-workout supplement or fat burner is complete without a hit of caffeine. It revs your metabolic engine to ignite fat burning and gives you the extra bit of energy you need to burn truckloads of calories in your workout.
Steel Sweat delivers 100mg pure, unadulterated caffeine anhydrous per serving. This is the perfect amount of caffeine to kick-start lipolysis, enhance focus and motivation, increase energy, and reduce appetite. [6,7]
Gamma-butyrobetaine (GBB) is the precursor to L-carnitine production and is converted to l-carnitine via the gamma-butyrobetaine hydroxylase (BBOX).
Since Steel Sweat already includes the highly effective L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, you’re probably wondering why we’ve included GBB as well.
Well, think of GBB as a “super carnitine”. Research notes that GBB increases carnitine production by over 300%, while other studies demonstrate that GBB boosts carnitine excretion 40-fold, indicating significantly greater carnitine production in the body. [8,9]
Combining GBBGO with L-Carnitine L-Tartrate provides a two-pronged attack for boosting carnitine production, and subsequently fat burning, all in the effort to get you to burn more calories and get leaner than ever.
Paradoxine puts the sweat in Steel Sweat!
A premium-grade patented extract of Grains of Paradise, Paradoxine is a stimulant free fat burning supplement that cranks up your internal temperature, creating a thermogenic effect like no other. Paradoxine has a long history of use as an herbal remedy, and recently it’s become one of the most sought-after ingredients for rapid fat loss.
Research shows that Paradoxine helps “brown” white fat, which increases fat mobilization from fat stores and ramps up energy expenditure, leading to greater calorie burning and faster fat loss, particularly visceral fat. [10,11,12]
Just be ready for some serious sweating with this compound, as it packs a whopping thermogenic punch!
Green Tea Extract
Green Tea is one of the healthiest beverages on the planet, due to the abundance of polyphenols, catechins, flavonoids, and antioxidants naturally occurring in its leaves. Most know green tea for its smooth energy and cardiovascular benefits, but it’s also a powerful fat-fighting supplement.
Green Tea Extract and its principle catechin EGCG has been shown to increase fat oxidation (i.e. fat burning) and energy expenditure both during periods rest and during exercise.[13,14] On top of that, green tea has also been shown to enhance athletic performance! Basically, green tea helps you burn more fat no matter what you’re doing, whether it’s relaxing on the couch or performing some high-intensity interval training.
Additionally, green tea extract also helps decrease body fat and waist circumference, lower caloric intake during meals, and reduce the amounts of carbohydrates your body absorbs from a meal. 
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Dubbed the “universal” antioxidant due to its dual fat and water-solubility, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is a fatty acid present in every cell of the human body that’s been identified as one of the premier fat loss and nutrient partitioning supplements available. Alpha lipoic acid helps generate cellular energy and increase energy expenditure, and it also helps direct glucose towards your muscles and away from fat cells, reducing fat storage and your waistline. [17,18] Some research even indicates that this potent antioxidant may reduce appetite and lower fasting blood sugar, further reducing hunger cravings and tendencies to binge while dieting.[19,20]
Capros® is an all-natural, organic, non-GMO extract of the Amla fruit (Phyllanthus emblica). Human research has demonstrated that Capros® supports cardiovascular health by enhancing endothelial function and cholesterol levels [21,22], which allows you to push harder and further during your workouts due to the increased blood flow.
A staple of Asian cuisine, ginger is a pungent spice loaded with bioactive compounds belonging to the gingerol family. The one we’re particularly interested in is 6-gingerol which has some pretty interesting effects regarding fat loss.
6-gingerol activates the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor δ (PPARδ), which has been shown to accelerate weight loss via increasing energy expenditure and the “browning” of white fat. [23,24,25]
In more basic terms, ginger root can be beneficial for combating weight gain, obesity and the host physiological biomarkers associated with the two conditions.
CapsiAtra® is a patented extract of sweet peppers standardized for dihydrocapsiate, a chemical cousin of capsaicin, the pungent alkaloid responsible for the “bite” of chile peppers. However, unlike capsaicin, CapsiAtra® doesn’t come with the unpleasant “burning” sensation that can sometimes occur in your GI system. Research conducted in humans notes that CapsiAtra® can help you burn an extra 50 calories per day by enhancing fat oxidation and energy expenditure. The extra calorie burn comes independent of exercise, meaning this novel fat loss agent helps increase your metabolic rate even if you’re just lounging around all day!
- Evans AM, Fornasini G. Pharmacokinetics of L-carnitine. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42(11):941-967. doi:10.2165/00003088-200342110-00002.
- Volek, J. S., Kraemer, W. J., Rubin, M. R., Gomez, A. L., Ratamess, N. A. & Gaynor, P. L-Carnitine L-tartrate supplementation favorably affects markers of recovery from exercise stress. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. (2002); 282:E474-482.
- Ho JY, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Fragala MS, Thomas GA, Dunn-Lewis C, Coday M, Häkkinen K, Maresh CM. l-Carnitine l-tartrate supplementation favorably affects biochemical markers of recovery from physical exertion in middle-aged men and women. Metabolism. 2010 Aug;59(8):1190-9.
- Wang T, et al. Evodiamine improves diet-induced obesity in a uncoupling protein-1-independent manner: involvement of antiadipogenic mechanism and extracellularly regulated kinase/mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling. Endocrinology. (2008)
- Zhang LL, et al. Activation of transient receptor potential vanilloid type-1 channel prevents adipogenesis and obesity. Circ Res. (2007)
- Gavrieli A, Karfopoulou E, Kardatou E, et al. Effect of different amounts of coffee on dietary intake and appetite of normal-weight and overweight/obese individuals. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(6):1127-1132. doi:10.1002/oby.20190
- Ryu S, Choi SK, Joung SS, et al. Caffeine as a lipolytic food component increases endurance performance in rats and athletes. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2001;47(2):139-146.
- Olson AL, Rebouche CJ. gamma-Butyrobetaine hydroxylase activity is not rate limiting for carnitine biosynthesis in the human infant. J Nutr. 1987;117(6):1024-1031. doi:10.1093/jn/117.6.1024
- Rebouche CJ, Bosch EP, Chenard CA, Schabold KJ, Nelson SE. Utilization of dietary precursors for carnitine synthesis in human adults. J Nutr. 1989;119(12):1907-1913.
- Sugita J, Yoneshiro T, Hatano T, et al. Grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta) extract activates brown adipose tissue and increases whole-body energy expenditure in men. Br J Nutr. 2013;110(4):733-738. doi:10.1017/S0007114512005715.
- Jun S, Takeshi Y, Yuuki S, Takeshi I. Daily Ingestion of Grains of Paradise ( Aframomum melegueta ) Extract Increases Whole-Body Energy Expenditure and Decreases Visceral Fat in Humans. 2014:22-27.
- Iwami M, Mahmoud FA, Shiina T, et al. Autonomic Neuroscience : Basic and Clinical Extract of grains of paradise and its active principle 6-paradol trigger thermogenesis of brown adipose tissue in rats. Auton Neurosci Basic Clin. 2011;161(1-2):63-67. doi:10.1016/j.autneu.2010.11.012
- Boschmann M, Thielecke F. The effects of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on thermogenesis and fat oxidation in obese men: a pilot study. J Am Coll Nutr. 2007;26(4):389S-395S.
- Auvichayapat P, Prapochanung M, Tunkamnerdthai O, et al. Effectiveness of green tea on weight reduction in obese Thais: A randomized, controlled trial. Physiol Behav. 2008;93(3):486-491. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2007.10.009.
- Hodgson AB, Randell RK, Jeukendrup AE. The Effect of Green Tea Extract on Fat Oxidation at Rest and during Exercise: Evidence of Efficacy and Proposed Mechanisms. Advances in Nutrition. 2013;4(2):129-140. doi:10.3945/an.112.003269.
- Lochocka K, Bajerska J, Glapa A, et al. Green tea extract decreases starch digestion and absorption from a test meal in humans: a randomized, placebo-controlled crossover study. Scientific Reports. 2015;5:12015. doi:10.1038/srep12015
- Kim MS, et al; Anti-obesity effects of alpha-lipoic acid mediated by suppression of hypothalamic AMP-activated protein kinase . Nat Med. (2004)
- Cheng PY, et al; Reciprocal effects of α-lipoic acid on adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activity in obesity induced by ovariectomy in rats . Menopause. (2011)
- Wang Y, et al; alpha-Lipoic acid increases energy expenditure by enhancing adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase-peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha signaling in the skeletal muscle of aged mice . Metabolism. (2010)
- Usharani P, Fatima N, Muralidhar N. Effects of Phyllanthus emblica extract on endothelial dysfunction and biomarkers of oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, double-blind, controlled study. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2013;6:275-284. doi:10.2147/DMSO.S46341.
- Akhtar MS, Ramzan A, Ali A, Ahmad M. Effect of Amla fruit (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) on blood glucose and lipid profile of normal subjects and type 2 diabetic patients. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2011;62(6):609-616. doi:10.3109/09637486.2011.560565.
- Wang S, Zhang C, Yang G, Yang Y. Biological properties of 6-gingerol: a brief review. Nat Prod Commun. 2014;9(7):1027-1030.
- Misawa K, Hashizume K, Yamamoto M, Minegishi Y, Hase T, Shimotoyodome A. Ginger extract prevents high-fat diet-induced obesity in mice via activation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta pathway. J Nutr Biochem. 2015;26(10):1058-1067. doi:10.1016/j.jnutbio.2015.04.014
- Galgani JE, Ravussin E. Effect of dihydrocapsiate on resting metabolic rate in humans. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2010;92(5):1089-1093. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2010.30036.
- Lee TA, Li Z, Zerlin A, Heber D. Effects of dihydrocapsiate on adaptive and diet-induced thermogenesis with a high protein very low calorie diet: a randomized control trial. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010;7(1):78. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-7-78
L-Carnitine is an essential, non-toxic, natural nutrient that helps burn fat for fuel. This form of carnitine is known for having excellent bioavailability and provides cellular energy and recovery from exercise. L-Carnitine Tartrate absorbs more rapidly than L-Carnitine when taken orally, making it useful for time critical situations like before cardio activity.
Key Benefits of L-Carnitine:Supports Weight ManagementHelps Convert Fat into Energy with Proper ExercisePromotes Increased Metabolism with Proper ExerciseIncreases EnduranceBoosts Recovery
Evodiamine Fruit Extract (Evodia Rutaecarpa)
Used in traditional Chinese medicine as a warming technique, Evodiamine mimics the characteristic anti-obese effects induced by capsaicin. Evodiamine may induce heat loss and heat production at the same time and dissipate food energy, preventing the accumulation of perivisceral fat and the body weight increase.
One of the most commonly used stimulants among athletes. It provides stimulation of the central nervous system to support alertness and energy during a workout and can support strength for some during resistance exercise. An increase in wakefulness, focus, better body coordination and can increase performance in cardiovascular and anaerobic exercise. Increased Fat Loss: Since caffeine increases overall energy output, it has a positive effect on the metabolic system. It increases the release of fat into the bloodstream and helps your body burn it faster. The effects can be magnified when combined with exercise since your body will be primed for fat loss. Muscular Endurance: For aerobic activities like cycling or running, caffeine improves endurance. This seems to be a result of both the inhibition of adenosine and also the glucose sparing effect caffeine has on muscles. By increasing fat oxidation, caffeine prevents the body from using intramuscular glucose as the initial energy source so the stored energy can be reserved for later. It is believed that caffeine helps with perceived effort and exertion, so it essentially makes exercise feel easier! Faster Recovery: As anyone that’s ever exercised knows, doing a new type of exercise or coming back after a break can be painful the next day, so faster recovery is crucial. For experienced athletes, recovery is even more important since an event or entire career can depend on muscles being fully healed and at optimal performance at the right time. A study performed at the University of Georgia tested the post-workout pain felt by a sample of volunteers. The group given the caffeine had 48% less pain than the placebo group.
Athletes around the world use caffeine anhydrous and caffeine supplements to improve performance and accelerate results. The most common positive effects are increased fat loss, elongated muscular performance, and enhanced recovery.
Gamma-Butyrobetaine Hydrochloride (GBBGO®)
A precursor to L-Carnitine, GBBGO® may naturally increase the production of L-Carnitine by your body. Increasing natural L-Carnitine not only aids in fat burning but also has the potential to enhance exercise performance and recovery!
Grain of Paradise Seed Extract (Aframum Melegueta) (Paradoxine®)
A spice belonging to the ginger family that stimulates brown adipose tissue, boosting metabolism and increasing thermogenesis while decreasing visceral fat in the lower abdomen.Aframomum Melegueta Extract promotes the transformation of white adipose tissue into brown adipose tissue which helps bolster thermogenesis, promoting high energy output and causing significant weight loss.
How Does Paradoxine Work?
White Adipose Tissue is the site of energy storage while Brown Adipose Tissue is responsible for cold and diet induced thermogenesis, which helps to control body-energy expenditure as well as body fat content.WAT increases the risk of diabetes, arthritis, hypertension and cancer while BAT can help keep your weight in a healthy range.Paradoxine® promotes WAT transformation into BAT, which can burn up to 5x more calories than any other type of body fat, resulting in higher work output and greater fat reduction. Furthermore, BAT can utilize blood glucose and lipids which yields better glucose metabolism and lipid levels independent of weight loss.
White Adipose Tissue (WAT) vs. Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT):
Promotes Faster MetabolismBoost Testosterone LevelsPromotes Neuroprotection and Enhanced Functional Capabilities within the Brain.Promotes Proper Central Nervous System Health and Improve your State of Mind.
Green Tea Extract (Camellia Sinensis) (80% Catechins & 50% EGCG)
Green Tea contains a combination of vitamins, minerals, and caffeine. Most of Green Tea’s health benefits can be attributed to active ingredients known as polyphenols and catechins – plant compounds with strong antioxidant activity. The most potent of these polyphenols is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)—the compound most responsible for green tea’s reputation as a fat burner. Green Tea has been shown to improve metabolic rate and increase the body’s heat production and fat oxidation.
Clinical research has found green tea to boost metabolism and inhibit fat digestion, resulting in a small acceleration of fat burning and weight loss.
Animal studies suggest that Green Tea may actually help convert white adipose tissue into heat producing fat burning brown or beige adipose tissue. (Neyrinck AM, et al. J Nutr Biochem. 2017 Nov;49:15-21.)
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Known as The Universal Antioxidant, enhances mitochondrial function with a strong antioxidant effect, supporting the functions of L-Carnitine and promoting muscle cell nutrient intake and protein turnover. Alpha Lipoic Acid also helps shift glucose into muscles and away from fat cells, increasing energy and reducing stored fat.Multiple Studies have shown that ALA stimulates the activation of an enzyme called 5’-adenosine monophosphate kinase (AMPK) in muscle and fat tissue. Increased AMPK activity helps to revitalize aging cells, promote mitochondrial production, optimize fat oxidation and inhibit multiple damaging factors associated with aging. ALA may also affect AMPK in the brain, inhibiting activation in the hypothalamus, thus suppressing appetite.
Fat Loss and Hunger:
ALA, when consumed with Carbohydrates, will partition those carbohydrates to muscle tissue and away from fat tissue. The distribution of nutrients towards muscle and away from fat either maintains or increases lean muscle and decreases body fat.
Capros® Indian Gooseberry Fruit Extract (Phyllanthus Emblica) (standardized to minimum 60% tannins)
Capros® is a super antioxidant (ORACFN of 47,000 µmoles TE/g) and an excellent cardiovascular support product, which is all natural, derived from the edible fruits of Phyllanthus emblica, organic and non‐GMO. Capros has been shown to promote endothelial function, thereby supporting healthy arteries and blood vessels.
Capros is one of the most promising new supplements for cardiovascular health and overall antioxidant nourishment to emerge in recent years. Its broad range of heart-healthy benefits, incredible ORAC rating and antioxidant powers, and its excellent safety profile make Capros the ultimate super fruit supplement.Antioxidant: One characteristic that makes Capros so uniquely effective at scavenging free radicals is that it acts as a cascading antioxidant. This means that in addition to its initial antioxidant activity, its metabolites also act as antioxidants. The net result is that instead of one antioxidant, you get a cascade of successive antioxidants as the tannins are metabolized in the body. This cascade puts Capros above all other super fruits, with nearly twice the ORAC rating of acai and approximately 17 times that of pomegranate.Cardio Benefits:Unlike other Indian gooseberry supplements on the market, which have not been subjected to scientific scrutiny, Capros is supported by multiple U.S. and International patents as well as seven peer-reviewed studies on cardiovascular health alone. Capros has been shown to promote endothelial function, thereby supporting healthy arteries and blood vessels. Beneficial effects on lipid profiles and other key cardiovascular biomarkers such as CRP have also been recorded.
Ginger Root Extract (Zingiber Officinale Roscoe
Ginger is a root herb from the tropical plant Zingiber Officinale. Known for its sharp scent, it has long been an important culinary spice in Asian cuisine and herbal medicine. Ginger seems to influence body weight and composition by boosting the body’s thermogenesis and energy expenditure, increasing the breakdown of fat in adipose tissue, and reducing the absorption of dietary fat in the intestine.
Dihydrocapsiate (from Sweet Peppers) (CapsiAtra®)
A compound found in CH-19 Sweet Peppers that activates the sympathetic nervous system via receptors in the GI Tract to Increase Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) and Increase Fat Oxidation (Lipolysis).Clinical Benefits in Weight Loss, Metabolism Increase, EnduranceUtilizes Fat for EnergyNon-Burning and Non-Irritating to The Stomach. 1000x Less Hot Than Capsaicin, None of The Undesired Side Effects (No Increase in Blood Pressure/Heart Rate or GI Upset).
Shift in Energy Utilization from Glycogen to Fat Stores.Human Studies Show 50kcal/Day REE Increase.Optimizes Energy Expenditure Through Fat Oxidation and Decreased Utilization of Carbohydrates: Sparing Glycogen in The Muscle While Reducing Lactic Acid Levels.
REE: The Number of Calories Burned to Maintain Homeostasis While at Rest.
-1.2% Change in Abdominal Fat
Significant Decrease in Abdominal Fat Over 12 Weeks
Weight, Body Fat % And Fat Mass % Decrease
Subjects Consuming Peppers Showed Significantly More Weight Loss and Significantly Reduced Fat Mass Over a Two-Week Period.
Increased Oxygen ConsumptionTransiently Elevated Blood TemperatureUp-Regulation of Activity of Upcoming ProteinsIncreased Energy ExpenditureReduced Fat Accumulation
Physiological Effects of Capsinoids:
Increases REEReduces Age Related REE Slowdown
Increases Fat Oxidation. The Ability of The Body to Burn Calories off of Stored Fat Within the Body.Significant Reduction in Abdominal Fat Seen in Human Studies.Optimizes Energy Expenditure Through Fat Oxidation and Decreased Utilization of Carbohydrates.Reduction of Anaerobic Respiration in Favor of Aerobic Respiration by Sparing Muscle Glycogen Stores.Sparing Glycogen in The Muscle While Reducing Lactic Acid Levels.
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)
A water-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C helps the body form and maintain connective tissue, including bones, blood vessels, and skin while also supporting carnitine synthesis.
Niacin (Vitamin B3)
Like other B vitamins, Niacin helps the body break down carbohydrates, fats and proteins into energy. Vitamin B3 is a water-soluble vitamin important for lipid metabolism and gives a warming effect to the skin.
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
Vitamin B6 is necessary for proper nerve function and for metabolizing nutrients. It also helps to support carnitine synthesis and mitochondrial function.
A highly water-soluble salt that acts as a potassium source to replenish what is lost from sweating.
Sodium (as Sodium Chloride)
Regulates muscle contraction and nerve function while acting as a sodium and chloride source to replenish what is lost from sweating.