It is time for a night out, and you need it.
You get out your favorite “boob” shirt and “butt” pants. As you pull up your pants, your excitement immediately deflates.
You look down and find that your thighs are causing more issues than usual. You think, "these must have shrunk in the wash or dryer. Let me pull them up." So, you do…
After strenuous effort and jumping up and down, they're finally up. You are fine buttoning and zipping but feel trapped in some strange cat woman outfit.
In the mirror, you see it… thass.
Your thighs and ass have merged, and the pants show no mercy- you can almost hear the fabric shrieking from being pulled so tight.
It is time to lose that thigh fat. And fast.
Here’s how to effectively lose thigh fat!
5 Tips to Lose Thigh Fat
Train and Strengthen Inner Thighs
Spot-reduction (losing fat from specific areas of the body) is a hotly contested issue in the fitness industry.
Studies are supporting both sides of the argument -- that it doesn't work and that it does.[1,2,3]
Regardless of the degree to which spot-reduction may be viable, a few absolutes are required to lose fat.
- You have to be in an energy deficit -- the body won't lose fat efficiently if you're not burning more energy than you're taking in daily.
- You have to lift heavy -- training with heavy loads (> 70% 1RM) using the muscle group you want to spot reduce as this increases body part temperature, blood flow, and hormone delivery, which helps "unlock" fat cells to release fatty acids into the bloodstream so they can be oxidized ("burned") for energy.
- You need to stay active during the day -- resistance-training workouts help increase the release of stored fatty acids from the "trouble areas" into the bloodstream. Additional movement (i.e., cardio) is needed to get the body to use those liberated fatty acids for energy.
Now, with all the being said, let’s discuss a few of the best lower body exercises to lose thigh fat:
- Curtsy Lunge
- Reverse Lunge
- Side lunge
- Walking lunge
- Front Squats
- Back Squats
- Goblet squat
- Bulgarian split squats
- Skater squats
- Sliding floor leg curls
As you can see, the best leg exercises to lose thigh fat are also the exact exercises you should perform if you want to gain strength and tone your entire lower body.
Dedicate the next few weeks to getting more potent on a couple of these movements, and you'll be well on your way to losing the thass and getting the toned legs and butt you want!
Increase Fiber and Protein Intake
As we just mentioned, to lose fat (including thigh fat), you have to expend more energy than you consume each day.
While that seems simple enough, the truth is that many individuals struggle to stick to their diet due to hunger pangs.
Two simple diet hacks to help combat hunger while dieting is to increase fiber and protein intake.
Fiber is the indigestible portion of plant foods. It helps take up space in your stomach and slows the speed of digestion, both of which help to increase feelings of fullness.
Fiber also serves as food for the good bacteria in your gut, which also play a crucial role in weight loss.
Protein is the most thermogenic macronutrient as well as the most filling. In other words, your body burns more calories digesting protein than it does either carbohydrates or fat while also helping you feel fuller too.
Research also shows that diets high in protein lead to greater satiety and weight loss.[6,7]
To help ensure you're hitting your protein and fiber goals for the day while staying within your calorie limits, try swapping out processed foods for whole foods, including:
- Lean protein (beef, chicken, fish, whey protein)
- Whole Grains
It may seem counterintuitive, but restricting your water intake will cause your body to retain more water.
Staying adequately hydrated helps flush out excess salt and fluids your body doesn’t need, which can help reduce bloating and puffiness.
Proper hydration also helps keep your appetite in check since many individuals often mistake hunger for thirst.
Carrying a water bottle around with you throughout the day can help remind you to drink enough fluids. And, if you’re not a fan of plain water, you can try sipping on zero-calorie carbonated waters, water infused with fruit slices, or a serving of Steel Fuel®, which supplies 5 grams of 2:1:1 BCAA along with a carefully formulated blend of electrolytes to support hydration.
Getting enough sleep is vital to success in virtually every venture you embark on in life, including eliminating thigh fat.
Not getting enough sleep causes you to crave higher-calorie foods while also reducing energy expenditure and motivation to exercise.
Sleep deprivation is also known to impair fat burning, reduce insulin sensitivity, and lower feelings of satiety following mealtime.
In other words, not getting enough sleep seriously stacks the deck against your body's ability to lose weight effectively.
If you need help getting more quality sleep at night, try some of these tips:
- Set a bedtime (and stick to it)
- Avoid blue light (tv, laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.) 2 hours before bed
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed
- Avoid sources of stress (emails, texts, news, social media, etc.) before bed.
- Make your room cool and dark
- Wear loose, light, comfortable clothes
- Read and/or meditate
You can also try using a natural nighttime relaxation and recovery aid, such as Steel Dreams®, which includes ingredients like KSM-66, Lemon Balm, and L-Theanine that promote feelings of calm while helping reduce stress.
Supplements for Buns, Legs and Thighs
Diet, exercise, and sleep are the three pillars of success when trying to lose thigh fat. Without those three in place, no amount of supplements will help you achieve your goal.
That being said, adding supplements on top of proper diet, exercise, and sleep can significantly enhance your results.
For those looking to help blast thigh fat for good, we suggest Buns of Steel®.
Buns of Steel is a topical toning cream containing 4% Intenslim™, which helps fight fat accumulation while soothing the inflammatory reaction caused by an unhealthy diet!
The research found that women who applied 4% Intenslim™ twice daily for two months decreased fat thickness by 24%!
Intenslim™ also helps promote healthy skin by removing damaged proteins, dead skin cells, and other accumulated metabolites to reveal younger, healthier-looking skin.
- Vispute SS, Smith JD, LeCheminant JD, Hurley KS. The effect of abdominal exercise on abdominal fat. J Strength Cond Res. 2011 Sep;25(9):2559-64. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181fb4a46. PMID: 21804427.
- Kostek MA, Pescatello LS, Seip RL, Angelopoulos TJ, Clarkson PM, Gordon PM, Moyna NM, Visich PS, Zoeller RF, Thompson PD, Hoffman EP, Price TB. Subcutaneous fat alterations resulting from an upper-body resistance training program. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Jul;39(7):1177-85. DOI: 10.1249/mss.0b0138058a5cb. PMID: 17596787.
- Scotto di Palumbo A, Guerra E, Orlandi C, Bazzucchi I, Sacchetti M. Effect of combined resistance and endurance exercise training on regional fat loss. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2017 Jun;57(6):794-801. DOI: 10.23736/S0022-4707.16.06358-1. PMID: 28497942.
- John GK, Wang L, Nanavati J, Twose C, Singh R, Mullin G. Dietary Alteration of the Gut Microbiome and Its Impact on Weight and Fat Mass: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Genes (Basel). 2018;9(3):167. Published 2018 Mar 16. doi:10.3390/genes9030167
- Slavin, J., and Green, H. (2007). Dietary fibre and satiety. Nutrition Bulletin, 32(SUPPL.1), 32–42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2007.00603.x
- Halton TL, Hu FB. The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety and weight loss: a critical review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2004 Oct;23(5):373-85. DOI: 10.1080/07315724.2004.10719381. PMID: 15466943.
- Douglas Paddon-Jones, Eric Westman, Richard D Mattes, Robert R Wolfe, Arne Astrup, Margriet Westerterp-Plantenga, Protein, weight management, and satiety, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 87, Issue 5, May 2008, Pages 1558S–1561S, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/87.5.1558S